There are many ways to get involved at Emmaus Way. We hope you'll find ways to commune outside of Sunday that are life-giving for you. Have an idea for another group? Please share! We strive to work together to explore the passions of our community.
Emmaus Way's community life thrives in small, intentional gatherings generated and hosted by our co-ministers. Some are more short-term groups formed around a specific book, topic, or seasonal practice. Some are longer-term groups who commit to meet for spiritual formation and friendship on an ongoing basis. You'll find more information about our currently meeting home groups below.
home group #1
When: We meet the 2nd and 4th Thursdays every month at 7:30 PM.
Where: We rotate between hosts in Durham and Chapel Hill.
What to Expect: We have an informal format. We share what's going on in each other's lives and pray for one another.
Contact: Elizabeth Efird | email@example.com
HOME GROUP #2
When: We meet every Thursday evening.
Where: We meet in Durham.
What to Expect: We have a meal and informal discussion each week. Right now, we're rescheduling with an exciting addition of a new baby to our group, so we're open to a changing schedule!
Contact: Susan Jakes | firstname.lastname@example.org
Home group #3
When: We meet on the second and fourth Fridays
Where: South Durham
What To Expect: Anyone who self-identifies as a young adult is welcome. We play games, check in with what's going on in each of our lives, and discuss questions of life and faith.
Contact: Becca Lamb | email@example.com
Thursdays 8:00 PM | meeting on zoom and in person
Pub Group is a reading and discussion space that centers on weekly readings sent out to a common listserv. The specific topic shifts with the season, but always clusters around the themes of story, justice, and practical theology that shape Emmaus Way’s Sunday gatherings and community life. You can check out a list of our past topics below.
Socially, pub group is open-ended and come-as-you-are, with several ways to engage. Each Thursday's conversation starts with a reading sent to our Pub Group listserv on Monday or Tuesday. Some of the several dozen folks on that list are Thursday regulars, some drop by once in a while, and still others follow along remotely. So feel free to come every week or just come when you can! For more info, or to join the listserv, contact Molly Brummett Wudel.
- Fall 2022: They Can't Kill Us Till They Kill Us (Hanif Abdurraqib)
- Winter 2022: The Christian Imagination: Theology and the Origins of Race (Willie James Jennings)
- Fall 2021: How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy (Jenny Odell)
- Spring 2021: Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation (Kristin Kobez Du Mez)
- Winter 2021: World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and other Astonishments (Aimee Nezhukumatathil)
- Fall 2020: Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and its Urgent Lessons for our Own (Eddie Glaude, Jr.)
- Winter 2020: Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion (Jia Tolentino)