There are many ways to get involved at Emmaus Way. We hope you'll find ways to commune outside of Sunday that are life-giving for you. Have an idea for another group? Please share! We strive to work together to explore the passions of our community.
Emmaus Way's community life thrives in small, intentional gatherings generated and hosted by our co-ministers. Some are more short-term groups formed around a specific book, topic, or seasonal practice. Some are longer-term groups who commit to meet for spiritual formation and friendship on an ongoing basis. You'll find more information about our currently meeting home groups below.
When: We meet the 2nd and 4th Thursdays every month at 7:30 PM.
Where: We rotate between hosts in Durham and Chapel Hill.
What to Expect: We have an informal format. We share what's going on in each other's lives and pray for one another.
Contact: Elizabeth Efird | firstname.lastname@example.org
When: We meet every Thursday evening.
Where: We meet in Durham.
What to Expect: We have a meal and informal discussion each week. Right now, we're rescheduling with an exciting addition of a new baby to our group, so we're open to a changing schedule!
Contact: Susan Jakes | email@example.com
Thursdays | 8:30 PM | meeting on zoom, for now
Pub Group is a reading and discussion space that centers on weekly readings sent out to a pub group listserv. The specific topic shifts with the season, but always clusters around the themes of story, justice, and practical theology that shape Emmaus Way’s Sunday gatherings and community life. You can check out a list of our past topics below.
Socially, pub group is an open-ended, come-as-you-are space with several ways to engage. Each Thursday's conversation starts with a reading sent to our Pub Group listserv on Monday or Tuesday. Some of the several dozen folks on that list are Thursday regulars, some drop by once in a while, and still others follow along remotely. So feel free to come every week or just come when you can! For more info, or to join the Pub Group listserv, contact Rebecca Hewitt-Newson.
- Fall 2021: How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy (Jenny Odell)
- Spring 2020: Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation (Kristin Kobez Du Mez)
- Winter 2020: World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and other Astonishments (Aimee Nezhukumatathil)
- Fall 2020: Begin Again: James Baldwin's America & Its Urgent Lessons for our Own (Eddie Glaude, Jr.)
- Winter 2020: Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion (Jia Tolentino)
- Fall 2019: This Nonviolent Stuff'll Get You Killed: How Guns Made The Civil Rights Movement Possible (Charles E. Cobb Jr.)
- Summer 2019: Selections from Can I Get a Witness?: 13 Agitators for Faith & Justice and The Long Weeping: Portrait Essays (Jessie Van Eerden)
- Spring 2019: Educated: A Memoir (Tara Westover)
- Winter 2019: Slow Burn Podcast (Season 2): The Impeachment of Bill Clinton
- Fall 2018: Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption (Bryan Stevenson)
- Summer 2018 - Selected Fiction: We Are Taking Only What We Need (Stephanie Powell Watts); Interpreter of Maladies (Jhumpa Lahiri); Parable of the Sower (Octavia Butler)
Eway Social is a Google Group for inviting others to social events and sharing community life. If something interesting is happening in the Emmaus Way community, chances are you'll hear about it on "the Social." To subscribe, contact Molly Brummett Wudel. To send a social invitation, request, or suggestion to the group, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.